Microaggressions : The Urban Cycling Community At Its ‘Best’

microaggressions

How does one differentiate anymore between the Tea Party and its alter-ego the Urban Cycling Community?

Microaggressions in Everyday Life

A new view on racism, sexism, and heterosexism. by Derald Wing Sue, Ph.D., and David Rivera, M.S.

Summary

Reply by Vilda 1 hour ago Chick Cyclist, white helmet, HUGE BACKPACK, Orange Masi, Southbound on Damen near Roscoe this morning 8/27. You decided it was ok to pass between me and a large moving Chevy econovan cause you said “on your left.” I yelled “Are you fucking retarded?” No response. Maybe you are to dumb to say anything but “on your left.” If I had even leaned my bike i woulda touched you. That’s too close you moron. Wait for cars to clear than ride like an idiot. And all that effort made so much difference as I caught you at Addison AND Diversey.

Reply by rwein5 31 minutes ago Retarded? Really? Are hoping to re-stoke the ultimate flame war of 2014?

Reply by Michelle 29 minutes ago Oh don’t bother worrying about it. I still follow emails here but I don’t post anymore because I don’t post where people are not welcome regardless of ability. I guess I’m done with Chainlink.

Reply by Simon Phearson 14 minutes ago I’m sure no one’s really noticed, so it’s a good thing you’ve weighed in to let us know.

Reply by Michelle 11 minutes ago Maybe they’ve noticed the lack of people posting threats of sexual violence towards women who are trying to address the use of hate speech on this website. Fuck. I’m so glad I removed myself from this community.

Reply by Simon Phearson 9 minutes ago Your repeated assertions of having removed yourself from the community remain unsubstantiated. And nice spin on that previous conversation. Because that’s not a self-serving mischaracterization at all. Don’t you have some books you could be pretending to understand?

Reply by Michelle Milham 8 minutes ago I called a dude an asshole and someone responded by telling me I needed “a good pounding.” That was the final straw toward closing the comments. It’s not a mischaracterization at all. This is a website full of people who claim to be good citizens and are not.

Reply by Tim S 3 minutes ago Thought this was missed connections not PC Police, look at my outrage?

Reply by Michelle Milham 2 minutes ago “PC Police” is another way of saying “I do not give a shit who my words and actions affect negatively because I just want to say them.”

Reply by Michelle Milham 26 seconds ago Perhaps if Chainlinkers don’t want to have these discussions in various threads they could just STOP saying those words.

Reply by Simon Phearson 1 hour ago

Michelle, this really isn’t the thread to derail with this argument or your ostentatious self-martyrdom, so I’m not going to engage after this comment, but if this is your genuine impression of what happened in that other thread, you need to take a long, careful look at your analytical skills. Because they are misserving you here. You called a dude an asshole and advocated for his physical assault because he used the word “retarded” as a “slur.” When you were called out for being an classist asshole, yourself, you insisted that your actions were beyond reproach, refusing to acknowledge your own privilege. Someone eventually posted a photoshopped cel from a comic book where Iron Man tells Captain America that maybe he needs some “solid dick,” which I understand was once a way of referring to a frank discussion. That “understanding” may be only apocryphal, but certainly that reading was consistent with the present context. That the phrase also has a sexual connotation in modern parlance is certainly true, and was likely part of the intended “humor” in posting it, but the cel didn’t in anyway suggest that the “solid dick” would be in the form of sexual violence towards women, as you’ve asserted here. Hypocritically and not surprisingly, despite your own implied threats of violence, you reacted to that comment in the most extreme way imaginable, but to be clear, your massive derail of that thread was responsible for its freezing, not the sub-scandal raised toward the very end of it. Since I don’t want that fate to fall upon this active and well-liked thread, this is the last I’m going to say about it. But suffice it to say that I am skeptical many in this community miss being reminded that you’re superior to all of them.

Reply by Michelle Milham 1 hour ago Sorry, when I read pictures on the internet I don’t go back to what they meant in the 1950s. That was a sexual threat dude. And yes I derailed that thread. I’ll derail this one too. Until SOMEONE here at the chainlink makes a decision that hate speech and sexual harrasment will not be tolerated. Also, there is really no need to put the word “slur” in quotes. The word is a slur. Also, I did not ask anyone to go beat this guy up or advocate for his assault. I said “I hope someday someone hits you for using this word.” Which is neither of those things. I say that to my own brother who loves using the N word on a daily basis too. They’d deserve 1 smack in the face as a wake up call. Also the claims of “classism” are laughable. I’m lower middle class myself. It’s not that hard to say “oh… it’s offensive? Why?” if you don’t understand instead of defending your need to be offensive to people. There is nothing classist about calling out hate speech and then calling out that defensiveness about hate speech is an asshole move.

Reply by Tim S 53 minutes ago Please dont derail this thread, your outrage is noted. This is a hilarious/serious place to vent that many of us enjoy as it is a place to know we are not alone in frustrations on the road. I doubt the comment was meant to be mean to those you defend just a typed word out of frustration.

Reply by Michelle Milham 51 minutes ago It doesn’t MATTER what it was meant as. It’s offensive and hurtful that people toss it around like it means nothing in the first place. Just STOP USING IT. There are so many other, better words to use, many of which were noted in that thread. Stop defending using that ONE WORD that people are legitimately hurt by. I say this as a person who DID use that word, my ENTIRE adolescence. Then, in high school, I started working with people with Down syndrome and they told me how hurtful it was, directly. So I stopped. It was a conscious process to retrain myself to not use that word, but I don’t anymore. Since that day. I don’t think it’s all that much to ask of people. Put that word in the box you put the N word in in your brain, and call it a day.

Reply by Vilda 42 minutes ago Yep, “You know there is a campaign to end the use of the R word?” “What R Word? Retard.” Ps – this conversation doesn’t make the retard that passes between me and a van any less of a retard. Oh and I taught Special Edu. Congrats on your high horse.

Reply by Michelle Milham 40 minutes ago Wow. But this conversation (your post) does make you a pretty heartless human being. Nothing like doubling down to prove that you legitimately do not care what others suffer as a direct result of your actions. You are a pathetic excuse for a special ed teacher. That’s horrendous. Find a different field if you have no respect for the people in yours.

Reply by Vilda 33 minutes ago Actually I stopped after a year cause i hated the parents. Adults are morons…. Weren’t you leaving? And I care what people think sometimes, but I’m finding it hard to care what you think…Since you keep posting and posting and posting. I can be heartless if you can be quiet…

Reply by Michelle Milham 23 minutes ago Because this is bullshit. There should be no hate speech tolerated here.

Reply by Vilda 12 minutes ago Got it – no hate speech – but you can threaten people with violence. Are you all set now?

Reply by Michelle Milham 10 minutes ago I did no threatening of any kind. I would never hit someone. I basically said I hope karma hits them in the face, literally.

Reply by Nikul Shah 8 minutes ago That is censorship by extortion. I would suggest that is equally as bad as hate speech.

Reply by Michelle Milham 4 minutes ago It is not censorship. It just shouldn’t be allowed. Free speech does not cover hate speech.

Reply by Vilda 2 minutes ago Actually Michelle, it does. That would be why when there is a gay pride parade there are Nazi’s there. They protest. Police cordon them off and let them. See Also: Westboro Baptist Church. Happy to educate you.

Reply by Nikul Shah 1 minute ago I’m happy to engage you, but move it to a new thread

Reply by Vilda 1 minute ago And this got buried:

Reply by Michelle Milham 22 minutes ago I’m not the government. This website is not the goverment. Free speech doesn’t apply here anyway. Free speech does not mean you can’t be criticized for being an asshole. I will not stand by and watch people use and defend hate speech. I won’t.

Reply by Michelle Milham 20 minutes ago Disgusting use of hate speech. If I were that cyclist I would have just flicked you off. Maybe next time someone passes you, use a different word.

Reply by Vilda 16 minutes ago Was it you on the bike? I’m getting that feeling now. If you had flicked me off you woulda died under a bus for acting like a retard.

Reply by Michelle Milham 9 minutes ago Sounds like you were on the outside not near a bus if she was passing on your left. And no, I was on the el reading my kindle because I’ve been absorbed in a good book and wanted the morning time to read. Plus I flatted both my tires hitting a “puddle” that was actually a pothole around a sewer on Kedzie on Thursday. Stop using hate speech. Maybe say “dumb shit” or “idiot” or “asshole” or any number of words that are innoffensive. she probably doesn’t know what she did wrong anyway because all you did was shout a slur at her.

Reply by Gene Tenner 5 minutes ago

9IMG_2503

Nice try Gene. Too little, far too late!

Reply by Tricolor 36 minutes ago
I generally think anyone feeling the need to announce they’re passing is probably passing too closely and should just wait for a proper gap. If more bikes could slow down from time to time when there’s congestion everything would be a lot smoother and safer.
(let’s derail this in a more bike-related direction)

Reply by Michelle Milham 32 minutes ago
It is bike related. A person on a bike, representing the bike community, is shouting ableist slurs at people.

Reply by Vilda 32 minutes ago
First the point is to offend someone if they put me in harms way.
Second, if you passed me on the left how would I be on the outside???

Finally, cause this is a Missed Connections thread not a vent about nonsense thread:

Reply by Tim S 31 minutes ago
I trend towards using O.Y.L. while passing weekend cruisers and Diviots. They can proove to be unpredictable.

Reply by Michelle Milham 31 minutes ago
Disgusting use of ableist slurs.
When somone passes on YOUR left, they will be passing to your left. The inside of the street in the US. You will be on the outside, towards the curb. When someone passes on YOUR right, they will be passing on your right. The outside of the street in the US. You will be on the inside, towards traffic. Unless you were salmoning?

Reply by Tim S 28 minutes ago
The HUGE BACKPACK was calling O.Y.L. not Vilda.

Reply by Michelle Milham 27 minutes ago
Right. When I call on your left, and then pass, I pass on the inside, their left side, towards the center of the street. Meaning Vilda was on the outside.

Reply by Vilda 26 minutes ago
On Your Left is fine – On your left to pass between me and a moving vehicle is not fine.
And Michelle – I see we are inverting words to argue over nothing – the point being (for clarity) I said YOU would end up under a bus if you flicked me off as you pass on MY left within inches of me and a vehicle.
I’m glad we could do this for no reason. Really, start a thread where you can vent about words you don’t like.

Reply by Jenn_5.5 mi 25 minutes ago
I politely disagree with your statement. I had a gentleman call out OYL this am on Lincoln. It wasn’t too heavy traffic wise, I felt safe and stayed my line. I thanked him for letting me know and I think he called back something nice. It was pleasant. I like being told I am being passed because I know to hold my line.
I will slow down and wait for a break in traffic before I pass and 95% of the time call out. We all need to be polite-ish to each other on the road on or the forum.

Reply by Michelle Milham 24 minutes ago
No. I’ll call it out where it’s happening. Thanks.

Reply by Vilda 22 minutes ago
Can you post a pic so we all know who to avoid? Thanks

Reply by Michelle Milham 18 minutes ago
No thanks. But I will call out in real life too. So I’d just not say that word, and then you won’t have to deal with it. So EASY!
Disgusting doubling down on the use of ableist slurs.

Reply by Simon Phearson 17 minutes ago
Please – could you stop antagonizing Michelle? She’s going to throw this tantrum until she cries herself out.

Reply by Michelle Milham 16 minutes ago
It’s not a tantrum. Stop being a defender of hate speech.

Reply by Vilda 12 minutes ago
You’re right…. Kids gotta do there thing…

Reply by Michelle 8 minutes ago
Bexause using a word you know is offensive on purpose is so adult.

Reply by Michael A 4 minutes ago
In racing, especially track we use the word “stick” it basically means hold your line, I am passing on your left (sometimes on the right) and please do not do anything stupid until I am clear of your wheel. I wish this would be more common with commuting cyclists and runners. I seldom use OYL because way too often the person you will be passing will look over their left shoulder and veer left to see what or who just said that. Also I believe OYL is too often taken as “get the hell outta my way”

Reply by Nikul Shah 26 seconds ago
I think “stick” is a better term.

TakeAways

Chicago's Cycling Movement Issues A Leftist Manifesto

Chicago’s Cycling Movement Issues A Leftist Manifesto

Scott Kubly must fondly remember his wonderful times in Chicago? This is the cradle of the ‘in your face‘ version of Urban Cycling. The only problem is that he gave a speech during his ‘coming out party‘ in Seattle as its new SDOT head. But he tried to make the case that the Urban Cycling Movement is not filled with a vicious ‘war on cars‘ mentality.

And yet we see here that the Urban Cycling Movement is more of an ‘equal opportunity denier of personhood‘. The war it is waging is not just on cars but on anything other than itself. I can hardly contain my confusion.

How exactly does this Liberal face on Transportation and Life In America differ from that put forth by the Tea Party? Both groups seem equally tone deaf. When I listen to some of the respondents in this thread I almost hear the voice of Sarah Palin. Nope, not almost. I do hear it. Only this time it rings out from a bunch of what appear to be ‘males‘.

Sadly and predictably the ‘females‘ on the ChainLink are ‘missing in action‘. But of course you cannot tell actual gender from sock puppet voicings. But regardless we know that the ChainLink and its supporting Urban Cycling Movement are the very last place to look for anything at all regarding ‘cycling‘.

Racism, sexism, abuse of the developmentally disabled are the hallmarks of the ChainLink and its minions. And they have their patron saints to hoist a glass to when they feel maudlin. So all is right in their world.

But really, not even WordPress as their publishing engine is gonna fix this ‘hot mess‘. BTW, does anyone know how much actual work gets done in Chicago Businesses? These folks are all engaged in this drivel from work! Perhaps we can get Crain’s Chicago Business to help us uncover the productivity rate amongst those who identify as Urban Cyclists?

I just hope the Bruce Rauner campaign has an RSS feed to the forum. And whoever happens to end up as the opponent of the current mayor is going to have a field day with their response to the question ‘Do you support bike lanes?