Picking the News Story of the Week Here at the Rhubarb

Summary

Every Friday our editorial staff has to sift through the hundreds of stories for that week in search of the one that will receive paramount importance from us. Our first story was about some minor dust-up that frankly we thought was meaningless but one of our staff fought hard for it so we humored them by making it one of two we deemed most important. That story was covered also by CNN:

The Runner Up Story for this Week!

Egyptian protesters take to streets, vowing ‘Friday of anger’

Supporters of deposed Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy gather for a demonstration outside Al-Fath Mosque in Ramses Square in Cairo on Friday, August, 16. Egypt is bracing for more violence as demonstrators plan to defy an emergency order and take to the streets to mark a "Friday of anger," in support of Morsy. Ferocious clashes on Wednesday, August 14, reportedly left more 500 people dead across Egypt, and authorities have declared a month-long state of emergency. The recent violence began when Egyptian security forces stormed two makeshift camps to clear out Morsy supporters. Look back at Egypt's unrest.

Supporters of deposed Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy gather for a demonstration outside Al-Fath Mosque in Ramses Square in Cairo on Friday, August, 16. Egypt is bracing for more violence as demonstrators plan to defy an emergency order and take to the streets to mark a “Friday of anger,” in support of Morsy. Ferocious clashes on Wednesday, August 14, reportedly left more 500 people dead across Egypt, and authorities have declared a month-long state of emergency. The recent violence began when Egyptian security forces stormed two makeshift camps to clear out Morsy supporters. Look back at Egypt’s unrest.

Cairo (CNN) — Protesters filed into the streets of Cairo after Friday’s afternoon prayers as defiant supporters of deposed President Mohamed Morsy promised a “Friday of anger.”

Security forces fired tear gas at a mass of people on a major bridge leading to centrally located Ramses Square. Machine gun fire was heard in central Cairo as a military chopper flew overhead. One witness reported seeing police fire at pro-Morsy protesters exiting a mosque in the western part of the city.

A CNN crew saw that some protesters in the crowd also were armed.

The fear is that the skirmishes foreshadow a violent wave similar to one that broke out Wednesday when hundreds were killed in clashes.

Already Friday, Egyptian emergences services reported nine people had been killed and 44 wounded in clashes, according to state-run Nile TV.

With the military blocking all entrances to Tahrir Square, thousands at Ramses Square, where a heavy cloud of smoke from a building on fire floated into the air, Nile TV reported.

The Muslim Brotherhood has promised huge protests, setting the stage for what could become another catastrophic encounter between security forces and protesters.

“The struggle to overthrow this illegitimate regime is an obligation,” the Muslim Brotherhood said on its website Friday, while urging people to protest peacefully.

Military vehicles were deployed Friday across Cairo and Giza, taking up positions in squares and securing important institutions, the state-run EGYNews reported.

The news agency said the military increased checkpoints at all entrances to Cairo to prevent the smuggling of arms to protesters.

A police officer was killed and another was wounded Friday in an attack on a checkpoint in New Cairo, a suburb southeast of the Egyptian capital, state-run newspaper Al-Ahram reported.

Police will use live ammunition to subdue any attack against police facilities, state media said.

Also Friday, at least 20 police officers were wounded when assailants fired on two security cars north of Cairo, according to EGYNews.

Since Wednesday, 64 police officers have been killed, state television reported. It also said 25 police stations and 10 churches have been attacked.

French President Francois Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel called for a meeting next week of European Union foreign ministers to coordinate a response to the violence in Egypt.

Egyptian authorities rejected criticism from U.S. President Barack Obama and other world leaders on Wednesday’s ferocious clashes, which left at least 580 people dead after security forces broke up huge sit-ins in Cairo, according to the Health Ministry.

More than 4,000 were injured. Casualties included civilians, police officers and bystanders.

The protesters support Morsy, a former Muslim Brotherhood leader elected president in 2012 whom the military removed July 3. Morsy and some other Brotherhood leaders are under arrest.

On Thursday, state media said Morsy supporters were attacking police stations, hospitals and government buildings outside Cairo. The Interior Ministry said police would use live ammunition against any further attacks.

There also were dozens of reports of attacks, blamed on Morsy supporters, on churches and other Christian facilities across the country .

The “Friday of anger” began with marches from mosques around Cairo, with the aim of converging in Ramses Square.

The most senior Muslim Brotherhood leader still at large, Essam Elerian, said Thursday the protests will continue until Morsy is returned to office.

“They can arrest me and 100 of us, but they can’t arrest every honorable citizen in Egypt,” Elerian told CNN. “They can’t stop this glorious revolution.”

Obama cancels joint military exercises

Obama on Thursday announced he had canceled joint U.S.-Egyptian military exercises, which had been scheduled for September.

“Our traditional cooperation cannot continue as usual when civilians are being killed in the streets and rights are being rolled back,” the president said.

He called on the Egyptian government to lift a state of emergency decree put in place to limit public gatherings. Addressing the government’s opponents, Obama added, “We call on those who are protesting to do so peacefully and condemn the attacks that we’ve seen by protesters, including on churches.”

Churches, schools reported attacked

Dalia Ziada of the Ibn Khaldun Center for Development Studies said Thursday that her group had documented the burning of 29 churches and Coptic facilities across the country.

The Bible Society of Egypt said 15 churches and three Christian schools had been attacked, some set on fire.

Nile TV reported Morsy supporters attacked a church Thursday in Fayoum, southwest of Cairo.

At least 84 people, including Muslim Brotherhood members, have been referred to military prosecutors for charges including murder and the burning of churches, the EGYNews site reported.

Echoes of violence

The violence echoed the upheaval that preceded the fall of Hosni Mubarak from the presidency in 2011. The military removed Mubarak after protests against his authoritarian rule, but not before an estimated 840 people were killed.

The generals yielded power to Morsy after elections, but the new president soon was accused of pursuing an Islamist agenda and excluding other factions from the government. Morsy’s supporters say the deposed president wasn’t given a fair chance and that the military has returned to its authoritarian practices of the Mubarak era.

The government reinforced the comparison by imposing the monthlong state of emergency, a favored tactic of Mubarak.

Obama warns ‘further steps’ could be taken

Obama, who has resisted calls to cut off military aid to Egypt and label Morsy’s ouster a coup, on Thursday stressed the United States would not support one political faction over another.

“We appreciate the complexity of the situation,” the president said. “While Mohamed Morsy was elected president in a democratic election, his government was not inclusive and did not respect the views of all Egyptians. We know that many Egyptians, millions of Egyptians, perhaps even a majority of Egyptians, were calling for a change in course.”

But he said he may take unspecified “further steps” because of the government’s crackdown.

U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay asked for an investigation into the violence.

“The number of people killed or injured, even according to the government’s figures, point to an excessive, even extreme, use of force against demonstrators,” she said.

Denmark suspended economic aid to the country.

Even predominantly Muslim nations voiced displeasure, with Turkey recalling its ambassador in Egypt in light of the crisis, a Turkish foreign ministry representative said.

CNN’s Reza Sayah reported from Cairo; David Simpson wrote from Atlanta. CNN’s Hamdi Alkhshali, Saskya Vandoorne, Mohammed Tawfeeq, Ian Lee, Frederik Pleitgen, Laura Smith-Spark, Greg Botelho, Michael Pearson and Holly Yan also contributed to this report.

And The Winner Is!

Anyone Gotten a Red Light Ticket on a Bike? I did!
Posted by Julie Hochstadter on August 15, 2013 at 7:13pm

Red Light Bike Ticket

Red Light Bike Ticket

So I admit I was rushing to meet one of Chainlink’s new interns…. and ran the light at Newport and Clark. Flashing lights on, cop points to me to pull over and writes me a ticket. He said they get calls every day for car accidents caused by bikes running red lights in front of cars.

No idea how much its for, he just told me my court date is early October and if I have questions to call 311 and give them my violation is V11-B.8c.

Here is my proof, with a wonderful “It’s ok” figurine that someone from The Coop Coworking Space gave me.

Reply by Mike Fatout 13 hours ago
Atta girl Julie, you are on the “short list” of cyclists who have gotten this ticket!

Reply by Julie Hochstadter 13 hours ago
I know right!

Reply by Anne 13 hours ago
We need to have a fundraiser for you to cover it!!

Reply by Mike Fatout 13 hours ago
What could be raffled off to cover Julie’s legal expenses?

Reply by Mike Fatout 13 hours ago
Did the officer take your drivers license?

Reply by Julie Hochstadter 13 hours ago
He used it but then gave it back to me…..

Reply by Steve Dennis 12 hours ago
I got one in NYC a few years ago. Turned left from a one way onto a one way (5am no cars and sub zero) at a red light. Ticket was for $80 but the officer did not attend the court date so it was thrown out. Apparently it’s very common for police to not waste time at the DMV court in NYC.

Reply by Tom Dworzanski 12 hours ago
What the heck?! Cyclists aren’t supposed to get tickets!

Reply by Julie Hochstadter 12 hours ago
Yes they can!

Reply by Michael A 12 hours ago
Maybe we should think about electing a new chainlink president, one who is not a traffic scofflaw

Reply by Mike Fatout 12 hours ago
She’s not a scofflaw until she misses the court date and refuses to pay the fine. Running the red light means she’s only human, or really fast.

Reply by Tom Dworzanski 12 hours ago
I got a ticket not too long ago (while being a motorist and allegedly talking on my cell phone) and my “court” date consisted of going in front of a city administrative officer who first spent about 5 minutes explaining she was impartial because she was a “contractor and not an employee.” Then she proceeded to tell me the cop didn’t need to show up and read a newspaper why I explained my case. Then after listening attentively to the city lawyer (some kid who looked like he got a law license a few days ago and has been celebrating since), she told me i was guilty, that I couldn’t appeal, and that if I didn’t like it I could sue the city (at my expense) or lose my driver’s license. So I guess you NYC kids are pretty lucky to have courts.

The worst part though is before it starts they take you into a small back room full of city lawyers and play good-lawyer / bad-lawyer trying to get you to pay the fine and in the mean time figuring out exactly what you’ll say so they can prepare. I should have never talked to those jerks.

Reply by Julie Hochstadter 12 hours ago
I liked your fb comment about framing it if it has been a speeding ticket.

Reply by Serge Lubomudrov 12 hours ago
Julie is the scofflawiest cyclist around here!

Reply by Duppie 13.5185km 11 hours ago
Just out of curiosity, how did you run the light? Did you simply blow it, or did you stop, let the traffic pass and then move?

Reply by Mike Fatout 11 hours ago
I did not know that about her. She seemed so nice.

Reply by Haddon 11 hours ago
+1 to the first person to post a video of a bike cop blowing a red light.

Reply by h’ 1.0 9 hours ago
Not anywhere near as nice as Michael A though!

Reply by h’ 1.0 9 hours ago
Best I can figure out the fine is $100, increasing to $200 if you don’t deal with it… guessing you could negotiate traffic school at the hearing.

Reply by rik 36 minutes ago
Let’s reserve judgment. Let’s see what our fearless leader does.

We have to make way of more self policing or maybe a cyclist license. Probably what may be better is a system of waning tickets where the violator has to go to a special “safe cycling class” like they do with motorist. I had 2 near collisions yesterday; not with cars but with other cyclist running stop signs. This is a real problem for all of us.

Reply by dan brown 20 minutes ago
OMFG. ’nuff said. show up in a suit and watch the judge laugh his ass off.

When I raced in the suburbs; a guy got a speeding ticket in Wheaton (those cops are nazis btw) and
he had it framed. I think he was going like 32 in a 25mph zone.

unbelieveable. I say the copy just wanted your phone number (my gf gets that a lot)

Reply by Chuck a Muck 5 minutes ago
I got a warning in Wheaton for speeding in a school zone on my bike a few years back… The only ticket I have gotten in Chicago was for an illegal left turn. Cop was more concerned I was drunk, it was 2 am.
Told me to just show up at court cause he was not gonna show, He only shows up for DUI’s…

Reply by Lisa Curcio 6.5 mi yesterday
It is an administrative hearing before a city appointed administrative hearing officer. I would be surprised if the officer shows up, but lack of witnesses might not bother the administrative hearing officer. And if Corporation Counsel finds this thread, it will probably be used as an admission, Julie. Rules of evidence are also not much of an issue in those hearings. 🙂

Reply by Homebuilt yesterday
That’s actually legal, you should have fought it. (Well, it’s legal if you stop first, but it depends what the ticket was for.) Even cars are allowed to turn left on red if both streets are one way.

Reply by Frankie yesterday
Thats Tuurible

Reply by Vlad yesterday
I got exactly the same ticket yesterday on Devon ave. Only difference is my violation is 9-52-010 Rule b. Have to go to court.
Does anybody know is it possible to reschedule a court date?

Reply by Julie Hochstadter yesterday
I’m not, unless the BS you are referring to is the everyday part…. I had a coworker a few years ago who hit another car trying to avoid a cyclists running a red.

Reply by Julie Hochstadter yesterday
Sounds like it’s starting. I warned a cyclist who was about to run one as I was waiting for the light after the ticket, I pointed the cop car and said don’t run that light. I just got a ticket from that cop!

Reply by Julie Hochstadter yesterday
I’m not looking forward to a possible fine but either way I learned my lesson. I wouldn’t have been late actually if I would have waited!

Reply by Bradford Smith yesterday
Right (or left) Turn on Red is not legal in New York City unless permitted by a sign.

Reply by Eric Roach 23 hours ago
This happened to me about two years ago on Randolph (the one-way side road heading west). I was cautiously and safely running a stop sign just as the cop in a SUV began backing out of spot. He then followed me and caught me running the next stop sign. It was a type of moment in which he was mad that I made him “spill his coffee”.

$25 for the ticket and $20 for court fees. You can show up and pay it whenever, at least that is what I did.

Yeah yeah yeah, I could’ve stopped at the next stop sign but I am a proponent of the Idaho Stop. Speaking of that, when they ask for the name of your bike tell them it is called the Idaho Stop 🙂 That is what I will do next time!

Reply by Julie Hochstadter 22 hours ago
more I ride the streets of Chicago slower I go…. how ironic is that!

Reply by Beans ~ 14 mi. 22 hours ago
I also.
I rarely open up.

Reply by h’ 1.0 20 hours ago
I’m with you, but it’s more like the more informed I become about crashes the slower I go.

Reply by Charlie Short 11.5 17 hours ago
The tickets are no longer $25. The range is $50-200.

Reply by Juan 2-8 mi. 17 hours ago
What if I don’t have a driver’s license?

Reply by Michael A 14 hours ago
Juan, if you do not have a legal form of ID, you can be brought to the police station and held until your fingerprints clear ( and if your pushing the police officer the wrong way he does NOT have to bring your bike, he can put an impound sticker on it and you and the officer will wait for the city tow truck to come take it away) This is not a ticket against a driver’s license this is a public nuisance ticket, like jaywalking or littering.

Reply by pceasy 12 hours ago
I got a BS jay walking ticket in SF at 3:30 in the morning (I was not drunk, just walking to work) with absolutely no traffic anywhere. A year later it was dismissed because the officer who wrote the ticket was a no-show, so it’s possible the officer won’t show up.

Reply by Tom Dworzanski 7 hours ago
Today I was extra careful at red lights. As much as I hate to say it, learning cyclists actually get tickets has an impact.

That being said, the law really needs to change to allow cyclists to treat reds as stop signs where the cross traffic doesn’t stop. That way we can get to a safe spot sooner and motorists don’t have to wait on us.

Our Rationale

We here at the Rhubarb are quite sensitive to the struggles of mankind in achieving freedom and equality. No struggle is more important than that necessitated by the Boub Case fought right here in Illinois. For nearly a century or more bicyclists have been treated with such disrespect that our editors consider them the most persecuted group in all of history.

To add injury to the latest insult the local police state in Chicago has sought to silence one of cycling’s most beloved figures Julie Hochstadter. On a mission of mercy she was detained by armed goons determined to keep her from meeting with other activists determined to help free the oppressed people of the Northwest Corridor here in Chicago. Because cyclists do not recognize the illegitimate authority of this repressive state they ignore as often as possible the arbitrarily erected controls that keep our fellow cyclists in a constant state of repression.

For doing this she was issued with a citation that could possible result in her death by firing squad. A group of protestors is planning to meet on a Friday evening very soon now to ride against traffic while shouting ‘Happy Friday‘ to keep the fight for freedom at the forefront of the consciousness of Chicagoans.

The group is planning to ride past the homes of people like Perri Small and Jim DeRogatis who are known agents of the automotive industry to let them hear the wrath of the people loud and clear. After the ride the group will reconvene at Comrade Brewery to drink ale and take up a collection to help defray the costs of our beloved Julie.

Should the police state choose to come down hard on her we will protest in Daley Plaza for as long as it takes to bring down the agents of tyranny who are trying to treat bicycles as if they were cars. Furthermore we are going to demand that pedestrians be removed from Dearborn Street where they are a constant impediment to the forward progress of cyclists who are heading off to their places of employment where rather than putting in a full day’s work will spend the bulk of their time around the ChainLink Forum Virtual Water Cooler ‘sticking it to the man‘.

We here at the Rhubarb stand in solidarity with these brave folks who are winning back our streets one blown stop sign or red light at a time. We urge you to join the likes of those who volunteer as Four Star Road Tour Ride Marshals so as to demonstrate the kinds of acts that though illegal help raise a handlebar bell of defiance that will long be remembered.

Power to the People Cyclists!