Kids on Bikes
Bicycling in Chicago
Helpful Biking Tips
- How to Fix a Flat Tire (PDF) – A page extracted from the Student For Cycling brochure; provides illustrated and detailed instructions on how to fix your own flat tire.
- Tips on Fitting a Bicycle Helmet (PDF) – Learn how to properly fit a bicycle helmet. Two pictures show the proper and improper ways to wear a bicycle helmet.
- Tips on How to Dress for Bicycling in Winter (PDF) – The City of Toronto provides a detailed guide for winter bicycling preparation, including for you, your clothes, and your bike.
- Theft Prevention – Prevent your bike from theft by locking it with the correct locks and a good method. If stolen, file reports with the Chicago Police Department and the Chicago Stolen Bike Registry.
- Bike Registration – Register your bicycle with the Chicago Police Department. The Police store many unclaimed bicycles. Registration is also necessary to register for a lock manufacturer’s warranty.
- Student Bicycling in Chicago (PDF) – Or download the high quality version (15 MB) by right-clicking this link and selecting “Save As.”
- Download center – CDOT provides additional downloads or links not listed here.
- Request a publication to be mailed to you – Most of the publications we have for download are also available as physical copies we’ll mail to your residence or business.
- Chicago Bike Laws – The Bike Program operates this website which displays all the Illinois and Chicago statutes and codes that relate to bicycling.