UPDATED : You Gotta Love The ChainLink’s Warm And Friendly Style

Summary

Today the ChainLink had the following thread posted:

Bicyclist says cop opened door in her path, files lawsuit

Heard this on the news last night, news item is here: http://bit.ly/T4rkHM. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The attorney for the plaintiff wrote in response:

Reply by Mike Keating 2 hours ago

I filed the lawsuit yesterday in the Circuit Court of Cook County – Law Division. Here’s a link to the posts on it at IllinoisBicycleLaw.com. I look forward to prosecuting this case to the fullest extent of the law. Taylor Street at that point has a dedicated bike lane and is a common route for bicyclists at UIC and the medical district. The fact that it was a cop (who we believe to be a sergeant) who doored the bicyclist makes this particularly egregious.

And then the wisdom of NotoriousDUG was displayed and responded to:

Reply by notoriousDUG 1 hour ago
I would be more impressed by your law firm if you proof read your posts first…

Reply by Mike Keating 1 hour ago
Wow. Sorry that I mistyped Amie as “Aime” and that lessens your view of my firm and our commitment to the dozens of injured bicyclists we’ve helped and cycling in Chicago in general. Have a nice day.

Reply by h’ 1 hour ago
Her name is spelled “Aime” on the cap of the channel 7 news piece, so not hard to see where that came from. Thanks for your work on this, Mike.

Reply by notoriousDUG 1 hour ago
Well there was that as well; but I was referring to this sentence:
“She continues to received medical treatment.”
Be upset about it if you like but this is stuff you are publishing to promote your business. If I had to choose between you and another competing attorney things like that would factor into my choice.

Our Clueless Leader?
© Rapid Transit Bike Shop

You should know that this kind of rude and abusive style is pretty much standard for the ChainLink. It is what endears the place to so many people and chases away newbies who stumbled upon it by accident or were steered to it by friends.

But as usual the nastier folk on this site are either too stupid or arrogant to realize that they themselves are no less human than those they criticize. To prove that point I took a casual glance at several of the recent thread responses by our intrepid “bad boy” here are the few that I even bothered to report on. Trust me there are dozens more.

Let’s call these the Pearls of Wisdom of NotoriousDUG:

Reply by notoriousDUG on October 29, 2012 at 12:00pm
You’re an idiot and way, way to sensitive for real life.

Reply by notoriousDUG on October 25, 2012 at 9:21am
This is not about any one shop; it is about local biek shops in general which is what Holly was refering to and you disparged.

Reply by notoriousDUG on October 22, 2012 at 11:34am
They should not be there but they are entitled morons to lazy to cross to the other side of the street where there is a sidewalk.

Reply by notoriousDUG on October 16, 2012 at 9:44am
Your shops website says they build wheels…

Reply by notoriousDUG on September 11, 2012 at 11:30am
I used to commute form that stop and lock up at it. There actually is substantial bike parking there that is under utilized. Bikes get locked to the railing instead of the bike parking and can often end up a hindrance both on the wheelchair ramp and the stairs.
However there is a good reason for this. The bike parking there is hidden from view of both the street and the platform and would not only be a good place to steal bikes or parts from but also an excellent spot to assault somebody. In the time I commuted there the only bikes I ever saw parked there were obviously stripped and abandoned or serious bum bikes; anything nice was locked to the railings.

Reply by notoriousDUG on September 4, 2012 at 4:34pm
The man who brought it is in one of Wicker Parks most amazing and insane bums; remind me to tell you about Wolfie next time I see you…
The one on the registry is to large, this is a pretty small bike.

Reply by notoriousDUG on August 27, 2012 at 3:25pm
Old, great.
New, complete shite for what you want.

Reply by notoriousDUG on August 19, 2012 at 2:02pm
Go to the station NOW and demand to file report.
They do not need the VIN#, you are being run around to avoid work.
In the future always call 911 when in a serious accident.
Do it NOW, you have a limited amount of time to file a police report on the incident and then you are screwed. Without the police report the driver can deny it ever happened and the claim will be denied.

Reply by notoriousDUG on August 16, 2012 at 2:16pm
Really it is up to you on why/if you should go back to that shop but in my opinion they failed at customer service that day. The only way to tell is if you feel the service at other times is worth the one time it failed; no shop will be perfect every time.

One parting remark from a thread respondent:

Reply by kiltedcelt 29 minutes ago
Bill, I think you mean “troll” as in a foul creature that lives under a bridge and tries to extort a toll from people passing over, or in the case of our modern internet age, someone who makes a big deal out of nothing or attempts to “shit-stir” in order to get a rise out of people. Then again, it was a post by DUG who seems to be a bit of a shit-stirrer from time to time. After all the post was about a cyclist getting doored by a cop. We should be a lot more concerned about the issue of how a police officer can door someone on a bicycle when they’re the ones who should know better than anyone else. Instead, we’ve got a bunch of people nitpicking typographical errors from a cycling attorney with a proven track record on defending cyclist’s rights in cases like this. Sheesh! Can we get the effing priorities straight here?!

Good question in that last sentence. But why break precedent? The ChainLink has always been able to function without any priorities until now. Why upset the “apple cart”?